28 may, 1898
The Flag of the Philippines was first displayed in battle. The flag was sewn by Doña Marcela Marino de Agoncillo, Lorenza Agoncillo, and Delfina Herbosa de Natividad in Hong Kong. It was formally unfurled during the proclamation of Philippine independence on June 12, 1898, by President Emilio Aguinaldo.
It contains mythical sun (with a face) common to many former Spanish colonies; the triangle of Masonry; the eight rays represent the first 8 provinces that revolted and were put under martial law by the Spaniards during the start of the Philippine Revolution in 1896; the flag was first unfurled with the blue stripe above, but was flown with the red stripe above upon the commencement of hostilities between the Filipinos and Americans in 1899. (ref. Wikipedia)